06 June 2012

First look: Prada FW12 Campaign

Prada_CS_FW12_AU22_DPS[1]
Courtesy of Prada
I think I might have just bounced on my seat a little when I found the above image in my email inbox. That is how excited I am about the new FW12 Prada menswear campaign.
Gary Oldman, Jamie Bell, Garrett Hedlund and Willem Dafoe are the stars of the new season's ads shot by David Sims. I love the cinematic feel and how, like everything Prada does, there seems to be a story behind every grin and pose. Prada says that "each leading man plays a different archetype, layering codes of dress in a subtle parody of power and role-play. Exaggerated poses and conspiratorial glances hint at the game, a palm solemnly placed on the heart or into a pocket with precise formality. A cardinal red background speaks of ceremony and theatre – the light accentuating the cut of a sleeve or the slope of a coat tail – while each man transforms the clothing into a costume for their own unique performance."

I honestly thought that last season's ads featuring Michael Pitt (!) were unmatchable but I was clearly wrong. I never thought when I saw the FW12 Prada show last January in Milan that they would go on to shoot their runway stars for the campaign. I would only be further blown away if they had shot a mini series where all four men wore all Prada and fought each other without getting their hair messed up.

No comments: